Monday, January 4, 2010

Caution: Big Challenge Ahead

My local writing group has thrown down the gauntlet. We are sponsoring a modified NaNoWriMo for our members. For the uninitiated, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month, which is actually the month of November. This year over 170,000 writers committed to writing 50,000 words in their manuscript during the 30 days of November. Everyone who completes the challenge is a winner.

My local group is holding our writing challenge during the weeks between our January meeting and our February meeting, January 9 to February 13, and we've modified the required word count. We have 5 weeks to write 40,000 words. So instead of writing 1666 words per day for 30 days, I am committing to write 1142 words per day. And by the end of the 5 weeks my family may wish to commit me.

Of all the writers in our group who finish, three names will be drawn to win $25 gift certificates to Barnes & Nobles. Because what better gift to give a writer than free books?!? :D

So, the weeks of January and the beginning of February may be fraught with writer's angst as I attempt to conjure up enough words to meet the challenge. But I love a good challenge.

No comments: