Monday, September 7, 2009

Finding the Balance

September is already here, and kids are ready to go back to school. This means different things to many people. For some, it can mean more time. For others, it will mean more things to do.

For me, it adds another helping to my plate that was already very full. I have spent the last week trying to make a schedule for myself that will allow me to be a mother, wife, teacher and writer (not necessarily in that order). :-) Can you hear me laughing?

The order will all depend on what the universe has in store for me at that moment. It could be that my husband needs me to pick up our son from football practice. Or, that my son needs me to run his mouth piece up to the practice field. Either way, I'm blessed with my family, but I can't forget that the writer inside of me needs attention too.

So, here is what I planned. I'm giving up some of my beloved television shows. Yes, I actually spent time today checking out the fall lineups. Last summer, I mourned the fact that there was nothing good on television. I read a lot, but didn't write at all.

This summer, I fell in love with writing. I had all day to devote to my laptop. That's not the case anymore. So, I'm taking the advice that many writers have said in the past. Write every day. That is my goal.

Sunday, I ran a million errands and found myself missing my characters. Finally at 9:26 pm, I sat down and greeted them with a smile again as my fingers hit the keyboard. After all, a writer can't sell their book if it isn't done.

I encourage all of you writers out there to make a schedule and go for it. Enjoy!

Ingrid

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post, Ingrid.

Finding balance is so difficult, but it is possible. And you nailed it on the head when you said it will depend on who needs you the most. It's not about finding one spot on the balance beam and sticking there, we have to keep adjusting as we move through our lives.

Keep writing! Can't wait to hear your chapter this week.

Andrea

Will Dickinson said...

Does this mean you are giving up the cooking shows? I sure did enjoy that left over strawberry cake creation that Andrea brought home - did that recipe come from a cooking show? ....

You can tell I enjoy eating....:-)

Ingrid Edwards said...

Thanks for the inspiring words Andrea. What would I do without you!!!! I worked hard to find my balance today.

Will, I don't think I can give up Food Network completely. :-) I'm just trying to make better choices. The weight doesn't come off like it did before. Now I just try to dream about chocolate instead of actually eating so much.

Thank Andrea because she sent me the strawberry cake recipie. She wanted to try it and suggested it to me. I enjoyed it too. Did Andrea share the carmel bars from last week?