Friday, August 28, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife

Happy Friday!

I'd like to say a few words about The Time Traveler's Wife that I went to see this week with my movie buddy.

First, I should "explain" my movie buddy. She is a very good friend of mine, and our movie dates started when we entered the "Twilight" craze last year.

No, I"m not a teenager. Yes, I love Twilight, and I think Stephenie Meyer is beyond wonderful. My movie buddy and I went to see Twilight eight times in the theater. Each and every time, we found something new we loved about the characters that we didn't notice before. They kept us coming back for more. I was so intrigued by the characters, I found myself checking facts in the book against the movie. Stephenie created great characters.

What about The Tiime Traveler's Wife you ask? Well, I couldn't find any reason to go back and see this movie again or even rent it when it comes out. I have to admit I have not read the book. Maybe I would like it. However, the characters on screen lacked a depth for me that I look for in a good movie or a good book. I want to see the chemistry between two people who love each other on screen, and it was lacking between Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana. I just didn't feel it.

Now, the concept of time travel is very cool. I've personally always wanted to go back in time. But, I had a few other problems with this movie. For instance, every time Henry (Eric Bana) time traveled, he lost his clothes. Yes, he would end up in his birthday suit where he traveled to. And, he didn't get to pick his destination. So you ask, how did he solve this problem? He broke into people's homes or cars and stole their clothes. Silly if you ask me. I wasn't buying it. Purpose please, anyone?

Since I spent $6.75 on this movie, I had to ask myself what I learned from seeing this. Here's what I came up with. As I write my contemporary romance novel, I want my readers to feel the connection between my characters. To believe that they are in love and truly are destined to be together. I want that spark of chemistry flying off the page. In the movie, I felt all of this was missing. We've all seen movies or read books that we just can't get into. This was one of those times for me, and I was bummed. I left the movie depressed. I don't want my readers to ever feel depressed.

I'd love to hear other thoughts and reactions to this film. Enjoy your weekend, and I hope you enjoy our website.

Ingrid

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great review, Ingrid. Thanks for your thoughts.

I've read your WIP, and trust me, the chemisty sparks off your pages when your hero and heroine get together.

Ingrid Edwards said...

Thanks Andrea. You are the best to work with!!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Ingrid,
I read the book with 5 other women for a book group. We didn't like the book much either.

However, I know there was a whole lot of women who loved the book. Bottom line, I'm with you.

But.....I will probably rent the movie. Go figure...

Barbara (Proud Mom of Andrea)

Ingrid Edwards said...

Hi Barbara.

Reading this book is like pulling teeth. I think I might just give it up. I'm one of these crazy people who if they start a book I feel like I have to finish it.
I think you will like the movie. Both actresses were fantastic. Thanks for posting. Have a fantastic week.